Sunday, 23 October 2011

Difficult times, my cousin's son passed away at the age of 32 years. Death is around, but I would still ask that "death not be proud even though some may called Thee mighty and dreadful".

Yesterday we laid Jo-anne Petersen ala "Controversy" rapper, songwriter, journalist to rest at the age of 34. The church was packed with her peers, most of them dressed in their funky clothes, some dj's, rappers. Two of her artists friends Carla Diamond and Natasha Tafari sang and said a poem for her respectively. In front of me a young man, dressed in his funky shirt and pants with hair tied in a ponytail could not stop crying. How much of them did I know, I asked myself. I realized that I am one of the guilty ones that brush off our young because their art is different to ours. Yesterday I was well and truly shown up. These are young, respectable artists that work hard to inspire, influence and criticize. May the spirit of Joa-anne live forever in their hearts, carry on young rappers, dj's songwriters, you are indeed heard and embraced.

Good nite

No comments:

Post a Comment