Thursday, 24 November 2011
writing does not stand in a vacuum
One's writing, that is what one writes and when one writes depend very much on one's state of mind. What happens, who said what and how affect one's emotional state and the desire to write creatively. It has been a tough few weeks for me. Mixed with a few good days, the bad ones just kept on coming back. My writing was affected big time. Central to these unhappy times was the reaction to the passing of the Information Bill. The discourse that was out there showed to me that my country has a far way to go to non-racialism. The way the racists reared their heads during this debate is sickening. I believe now that we will never get rid of them, when a racist dies, he/she makes sure that there is already another one taking his/her place. So one has to confront racism, do not pretend that it does not exist. I am surrounded by racists. Some are in one's face and some's are only visible when they turn their backs. Racism, "swart gevaar" tactics is alive and well in South Africa and I believe in the world! To them I say "bugger off, we can get along without you"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment